Sunday 7 June 2009

I had totally forgotten...

..just how much I love the album "Purple Rain" by Prince and the Revolution until I put it on in the car this morning to let Junior have a listen. Needless to say, he loved it too (he has great taste in music) and I got a right old chuckle watching him playing air guitar to "Let's Go Crazy" in the rear view mirror.
This album always conjures up lots of memories for me but mostly it makes me remember the times when my best friend Beth and I would cruise around town in her Dad's car just after she passed her driving test. It was our first taste of freedom after years of experiencing the claustrophobic confines of the village where we lived. Every time I listen to "Purple Rain" the hairs on the back of my neck go up and I get the same rush of adrenalin I got when we used to stick this album in the cassette player (no CD players then, folks!), turn the volume up full, wind down the windows and pull out of the driveway to go and explore the big wide world courtesy of Jim's clapped out old Fiesta. Those were the days! It almost makes me wish I was seventeen all over again - without the angst and spots of course...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Rain_(album)

P.S "Let's go Crazy" simply must be played with the volume up as far as it will go - so best make sure there are no neighbours around! Oh, and there are Parental Advisory lyrics on some of the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment