Tuesday 17 March 2009

A Forgotten Masterpiece

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him(sic)
Maya Angelou (American Poet, b.1928)
This is one of the very first novels I remember reading. In fact I read the entire book in one day when I was off school ill. Couldn't put it down. And I also remember how it inspired me to write my own story about a family of Hedgehogs who had to find a new home after the Combine Harvester destroys their house. I was eight.
Sadly, there are many parents who have replaced books with TV. But just think - if children are so entertained by two letters, just how amazed are they going to be with twenty six!? Kids need time to read, to explore all the delights of the written word - old, new, fiction, non-fiction. Let them discover the joys of forgotten masterpieces - you never know, it might just inspire them...

No comments:

Post a Comment