Saturday 12 December 2009

Living in the moment

"We know nothing of tomorrow, our business is to be good and happy today"
Sydney Smith

As I watched the family dog having a good old scratch today something struck me. It occured to me that worry and regret are unique human flaws. Does any other animal dwell on the things that happened yesterday or feel sick about the things that are going to happen tomorrow?
Ellie was so engrossed in 'itching her scratch' that she wasn't thinking about anything other than that exact moment in time. Nothing else mattered to her. I can't remember the last time I did that. Just truly lived in the present. Always, at the back of my mind are the thoughts about what has brought me to this point in my life. Usually the present moment is tainted with a horrible anxiety about what lies ahead. As I watched our dopey, lovable dog's jowls wobble as she fully embraced her itch it really hit me just how much we humans have to learn from our animal friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment