Tuesday 17 November 2009

Back to the old school!

Today I returned to my old school to talk to the Primary six class about Bree McCready. It was very strange being back in my old classroom after all these years. What made it even more of a twilight zone experience was that one of my old teachers was there listening!!
It was a special visit. Those of you who have read "Bree McCready and the Half Heart Locket" know that Bree, Sandy and Honey attend Ramthorpe Junior. RAmTHOrpe. See what I did there? When I told the kids how I came up with the name for Bree's school they were thrilled. I was asked lots of really interesting questions. I even got asked one in Russian which was amazing! What a beautiful language. I asked the boy in question (sorry, I can't remember your name) what language he thinks in. He said it changes all the time. Brilliant!
What really made my visit special was what happened when I first arrived. I thought it was very quiet but when I turned the corner the whole class burst into a rendition of "Happy Birthday". I was quite taken aback. I must have mentioned it was my birthday when I made the appointment to go in. A lovely wee girl called Shaye presented me with a handmade card from the class and I was really touched by their kindness. Thanks to Mrs MacAndrew and everyone in primary six who made today's visit (and my birthday) really special for me. x

3 comments:

  1. wow that must have been a good day, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was lovely but rather weird. The classroom I sat in was the one at the beginning of Bree McCready where Bree has to choose a name out of the hat for the limerick competition. Mrs McAndrew just looks the same! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that must have been a weird feeling - but nice! I haven't been back to my old school yet and I don't know how I'd feel! Strange...

    ReplyDelete