Tuesday 5 May 2009

Read of the Year so far...


It's not often that a book changes your life but I think "The Other Hand" by Chris Cleave has the potential to do so. This is the most heartbreaking, powerful and well-written novel I have read in a very long time. I have to admit it was the tantalising blurb that first caught my attention - "We don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it...Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds" Maybe I am a bit of a sucker for this kind of thing but I'm glad. This book has put me through the ringer and I am little more than halfway through. It is a rarity to stumble across a book that has the power to make you weep uncontrollably. I have become so attached to the characters in this emotionally charged and at times gut-wrenchingly painful story that I am absolutely dreading finishing the book. It's a difficult read - shocking, powerful and deeply affecting. It is also gripping and funny in places. Utterly unputdownable. If you are looking for a reason to re-assess your life, to put your "problems" into perspective then I recommend this terrific novel to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment