Friday 27 February 2009

Feeling my way through the dark...


I can't stop listening to this song at the moment. It's the last track on the "Eye to the Telescope" album by Scottish singer/songwriter K T Tunstall and it just plays repeat on my car CD player (much to my son's disapproval - he prefers Rock and Roll!) 'Through the Dark' moves me every single time I hear it and I never get sick of listening to the lyrics. I thought I would share them with you.


"Through The Dark"

As I walk away, I look over my shoulder

To see what I'm leaving behind

Pieces of puzzles,

And wishes on eyelashes fail

How do I show all the love inside my heart?

Well this is all new,

And I'm feeling my way through the dark

And I used to talk with honest conviction

Of how I predicted my world

I'm gonna leave it to star gazers,

Tell me what your telescope says

Oh what is in store for me now?

It's coming apart I know that it's true

cause I'm feeling my way through the dark

Try to find a light on somewhere

Try to find a light on somewhere

I'm finding I'm falling in love with the dark over here

Oh oh what do I know

I don't care where I start

For my troubles are few

As I'm feeling my way through the dark

Through the dark

I'm feeling my way through the dark


Quite often a good songwriter is like a poet and I have found much solace from song lyrics in the past. For me this song is about leaving a part of your life behind you, looking forward and accepting that you cannot predict the future. Take each day at a time. I recommend listening to this beautiful song particularly to anyone who is entering a new phase in their lives.

1 comment:

  1. I shared a flat with a school friend of Kate's and she used to come play in the pub, gigging her way around Scotland. I remember thinking something along the lines of "why doesn't she just go get a proper job" (how naive was I?!) thinking that ambitions to be famous were just pie-in-the-sky, and that it looked like a lot of effort for no reward. Next thing I know, she's chatting to Jools Holland and her photograph is plastered on every bus stop London. Just goes to show what you can do with a bit of talent and some determination. I love her music, and she is a super-nice person too. It's me who has revised /my/ ideas....!

    On the lyrics front, have you ever looked at Leonard Cohen's lyrics? Not cheery (mostly), but he has some fantastically inventive turns of phrase.

    Congrats on the book. I look forward to reading it!!

    ReplyDelete