Sunday 22 February 2009

An early start


My Dad came across a jotter belonging to me from 1977. It's in perfect condition and written across the front is "Hazel - Stories and Writing, Primary 1F" Leafing through the yellowing pages it is clear to see that even 32 years ago (am I really that old?!) I already had an interest in writing. It's funny to think I wrote these little stories such a long time ago - "I burnd (sic) myself. We like to sing" "Victoria saw the pigs at the show" (this is accompanied by a rather cute picture of three black, green and red blobs with curly tails - art was never my strong point!). On nearly every page of this little pink jotter I have written "I have a dog" I must have had an obsession at the time and in the misty corners of my memory I can remember hounding ('scuse the pun!) my parents to get a dog. My pleading didn't work of course and I had to wait until I was 31 for my wish to come true (when a crazy, gorgeous lump of a boxer dog, Ellie came into our lives). It's slightly unsettling to see the blatant sexism that was prevalent in schools during the 1970's - "Father is working in his shed, Mother has a pan" and "Fiona has a doll, Bob is playing with his hammer" How did we all survive this time and still manage to come out as strong, independent and ambitious women?! And also I don't recall ever calling my mum and dad 'mother and father'! What an alien concept for a working class child! Let's hope times have changed a little...
This little book is a gem of a find. I can't wait to search my parents attic to see what other treasures are hidden under the tonne of junk up there. This pink, rectangular jotter is a small reminder that we all have to start somewhere with our dream and that we just never know where our path will take us in the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment